Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Gum Bichromate Prints

I have tried out a few different alternative photographic processes but gum bichromate is my favorite. It gives me the most control and the most flexibility. I can use 1 negative or 3 or 4. I can make them color if I want to. I can even make a single negative gum look like a color image. I can bleach them, sand them, scrub them, crumple them and pretty much anything else I feel like doing to them. I love Fabriano and Arches papers the most. I get my chemicals from Bostick and Sullivan and prefer their gum and 10% potassium bichromate. I use a 1 to 1 formula and very little pigment. I expose the prints with the sun because I simply cannot pay the prices for the exposure units. Sometimes I register the negatives and sometimes I don’t. When I register the negatives, all I do is lay the negative over the blank paper and make the marks on the paper with pencil and then trace over them onto the negative. Not an exact science but it works. I really love this process and believe that I have found THE process for my work.

Some of these prints are for sale at my Etsy store. I still haven’t figured out how to get a link posted yet but here is the addy – http://www.etsy.com/shop/MojavePhotography?ref=si_shop



















No comments: