Monday, January 25, 2010

Kodak Portra 160VC

Got some really interesting effects with this film. I thought I'd take a chance and see what it did with all kinds of different situations. All shots were taken at the Huntington Library in Pasedena. I used my Holga 135 and have cropped some of the images due to some defects that I am finding with the camera, which is mainly a huge black edge to the frame. It was only a problem on some of the low light shots.


This first shot was full sunlight and the color is spectacular! This shot hasnt been cropped and there wasnt much problem with the black edge on the frame. It is darker on the left edge but that could just be shade. I dont remember.



The sun was very low at this point and I had the huge black edge on the left. Took up at least a 3rd of the frame. The color is still pretty saturated in this shot and I really like it. It almost looks like a 120 shot.



Now this I find very interesting. The light almost looks like strobe lighting but its the sun. I stood in the shade and took this shot. That huge black edge was on this one too.



Odd how this low light shot doesnt do the strange thing with the sunlight, making it look like strobes. Not really sure why. I did have the black edge problem with this shot too.



This shot is interesting because the only saturated color I see is the tiny bit of blue sky you can see. Other than that, the greens look pretty flat. Full sunlight shot and I had no issues with the underexposed edge.



As I was leaving I took this shot. I wanted to see how the film with do with all those shadows in a landscape. Seemed to handle it well and I like the effect the Holga gave to the trees. I did crop out part of the sky but there was no issue with the black edge in this shot.



Heres another one of those weird shots that looks like a flash or some other manmade light source, but thats the sun. Oh yeah, and this image isnt cropped.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Huh, it is odd how some images look like they were either made with a strobe or garden spot lights. I don't know why that would happen. The Portra is fairly normal film, so I'm guessing the contrast has something to do with the lens. Was the film expired, and did you have them push this film? I can't remember if that was the case with this roll.

In any case, the images are a lot of fun. It looks like you were having a good time with these, just nice and casual pics to see what your subjects would look like when shot with this camera and that film. I especially like the one of the grasses. I couldn't tell if the palm tree image has some nice, smudgy softness in the grass and some of the fronds, or if it's the grass and fronds themselves that are doing it. I hope it's the camera's lens. It would be nice if you were able to capitalize on the things that are going on in these images!

Kelly said...

Correction--I think those "grasses" are actually papyrus.