Friday, August 1, 2008

Alpha

First entry, just to get the ball rolling. Short and sweet.

When I was little, my family and I went camping all the time. Sometimes we'd go to the mountains and sometimes we'd go to a beach in Mexico, but usually we camped in the desert. For an adventurous girl of about five, the desert held many treasures. But none as special as the treasure I could make myself by throwing a plastic fork into the hot coals of a dying fire.

They would slither and twist, dance and spin. They drooped over my stick when I pulled them out of the coals. I watched them grow cold and hard in the cool, dry, desert air, a million stars looking over my shoulder. They became much harder than they were before I helped them become what they were really supposed to be and I imagined they were real. Some sort of plastic fairy with minds of their own and the ability to fly.

I kept all those forks for many years, my little treasure friends. I dont know where they are now but I imagine they are still together, dancing and laughing beneath the stars and telling tales of the toe headed girl who created them.

No comments: